[NBLUG/talk] apt == dangerous

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 09:54:59 PDT 2006

Don't.

Touch.

Apt-get.

On.

The.

Machine.

You.

Have.

All.

Your.

Homework.

On.

During.

The.

School.

Year.

Ever.

Especially not when you're on dial-up and it takes eight hours to
re-download all the packages that X needs after apt's dependency
management "helpfully" nukes them.

Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

On the bright side, I have Firefox 1.5 now! :-D

Random question: Anybody have any specific recommendations for
hardware firewalls? I'm looking for something under $100 for a network
with both Win32 and Linux machines. I would need to be able to
configure it enough so that normal web browsing and FTP work for my
mom, and I would like to be able to also use CVS/Subversion, myself.

I'd rather not have to install and maintain software firewalls on all
the Winboxen in the house if/when we get DSL.

William