[NBLUG/talk] Universities

David shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Mon Apr 24 17:30:35 PDT 2006

Hi,

I go to UC Davis, and used to have a minor in Computer Science, and my major is
Economics.  The reason I got out of CS in UCD is that it is totally focused on
programming, with 1 or 2 networking and 1 database class.  Davis has a GREAT
programming/CS program, although it is not easy.  I'm personally more into
Information Technology than programming which I find boring, but if you like it,
I can tell you first hand, Davis is great for that.  I did 3 years at the JC,
and while the JC has linux classes, networking classes, and general IT classes
(some of which I took), Davis does not - it is almost entirely programming.  I
know a few people in CS and you really have to have a knack for programming.
The labs (read: programs you code) involve quite a few hours of work.

As for LUG's, there is a Davis Linux group, but it is not nearly as active has
NBLUG, and while there are periodic install-fests, its not much better than
that.  But don't pick a college based on a LUG.

As for the "sheep-skin" effect of the degree, both CalPoly and UCD have great
names that employers like, but like most things in life, you get out what you
put in.  Code is code, good teachers help, but it really is what you put in.

Good luck,

David