[NBLUG/talk] Universities

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Mon Apr 24 21:15:19 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 04:54:24PM -0700, matt wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:30:35 -0700
>  David <shadoweyez at hotpop.com> wrote:
> >As for LUG's, there is a Davis Linux group, but it is
> >not nearly as active has
> >NBLUG, and while there are periodic install-fests, its
> >not much better than
> >that.  But don't pick a college based on a LUG.
>
> I thought Davis' LUG was very active, from what I heard
> here on the list and their website. Someone said around
> 400 members.

disclaimer: i've never been to a lugod meeting.  all i know is what i've
heard 2nd hand and learned from their website.

lugod and nblug are actually roughly the same in size.  we count our members
slightly differently, but we both make it pretty darned easy for you to
consider yourself a member....or for us to count you as a member, for that
matter.  lugod has you fill out a form at their general meeting
(http://www.lugod.org/members/join/), while nblug is a bit more lax in that
we only require you to join our mailing list or show up for a meeting
(http://nblug.org/membership).

i've heard our general meetings have a higher turnout, but lugod meets twice
as often.  their website is much more interesting than ours (which reminds
me - ourmembership page needs some updates *wink*).  their
installfest are more often.  they also tend to be a more technically
oriented group.  that tends to stem from the fact they have a large CS group
to draw from being near UCD.

the rumor i've heard is that, as far as LUGs go in the bay area, nblug has
the 2nd largest monthly meeting turnout.  maybe i remembered that wrong.
*shrug*

-dustin