[NBLUG/talk] apt-get issues

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Mon Aug 7 14:31:49 PDT 2006

Recently, almost anything I try to upgrade results in the following message.

Konqueror (3.3.2 on KDE 3.3.2) has been quirky for about a week now, and I'm
growing tired of having to work for it instead of the other way around.

I decided to see if there were any upgrades, so I used the command:

apt-get -u install kde

The following was the result. This doesn't seem right to me.

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  e2fsprogs sysvinit
366 upgraded, 211 newly installed, 87 to remove and 784 not upgraded.
Need to get 368MB of archives.
After unpacking 77.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'

If I run

apt-get -f install

everything runs smoothly and returns:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1174 not upgraded.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thank you!