[NBLUG/talk] Certifications: Unix, Linux, ITIL, Mac

Jim Oser oserj at OserConsulting.com
Sat Dec 9 10:33:36 PST 2006

A recent thread asked about Linux and Unix courses at SRJC.

Costing a lot more than SRJC, are at least 2 other alternatives:

http://www.oreillylearning.com/

http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cert/linux.html

It also should be noted that there is now Apple Mac OS X Server
Certification. There is information about this on the Apple website
and there are also O'Reilly books about this. I know about this
because I am Apple Mac OS X Server certified.

I also noticed in recent listing at Lucas, they are looking for ITIL
certification:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tch/244644941.html

Has anyone ever taken an ITIL course or read an ITIL book?

> Education, Experience and Skills:
> 2-4 years of desktop support experience – fast-paced production
> experience (preferably supporting 3D artists and software
> developers) a plus.
> Excellent understanding of technology and the role of the "client"
> in relation to the larger IT infrastructure.
> Strong skills in Windows (2000 and XP) operating system and/or
> Linux Operating systems (SUSE primarily) and/or Macintosh Operating
> System (OSX). Remote management and scripting experience helpful.
> Good communication skills, able to communicate in a professional
> and friendly manner with co-workers and customers.
> Self-starter, energetic, strong organizational skills and ability
> to prioritize workload.
> Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Web Browsers.
> Team player that strives to maximize team/department performance.
> Detailed-oriented and be able to handle a variety of tasks in an
> efficient manner.
> A+ Certification or MCDST Certification is a plus.
> ITIL certification a plus.

Jim Oser
Oser Computer Solutions
113 Santa Maria Drive