[NBLUG/talk] Certifications: Unix, Linux, ITIL, Mac

Bill Collins collinwf at sonic.net
Sat Dec 9 12:00:02 PST 2006

ITIL is a set of "best practices" that were canonized into a standard in the
UK for the purpose of standardizing efficient (read: less costly) and
effective (read: get it done right) IT Service Management. It has since
swept through Europe and is beginning to be adopted in the US. There is an
ISO standard ISO 20000 that mirrors the British standard BS 15000.
Certification is awarded through examination by an authorized agency. In the
US this is a group called Information Systems Examination Board (ISEB). Here
are a few links that can point you to more info:

http://www.itsmf.org/
http://www.exin-exams.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITIL

There are various levels of certification. The three main categories are
Foundation, Practitioner, Manager. Some of the impetus behind desiring /
requiring this type of certification in the US is linked to regulatory
pressures from Sarbanes-Oxley and HIPAA. It is also aligned with the trend
for organizations to seek ISO and CMM certifications. ITIL is a
certification aimed at the individual whereas ISO and CMM are organization
level certifications.  I believe you can self study for the Foundation level
but authorized training is required for the more advanced certifications.
The Foundation course is usually 3 days, and is the most common
certification. Some of the primary workshop based training organizations are
HP Education and IBM Education. I am sure more options are emerging as the
popularity of this certification grows. Many employers who seek ISO
certification will bring these training opportunities in-house. You see this
more often in pure service organizations and out-sourcing firms.

Here is one source of literature and other info:

http://itsm.fwtk.org/

The material is not difficult. If you have been involved in any well
organized service effort that utilizes Service desk, Incident management,
Problem management, Change management, etc, you will be familiar with the
concepts. However, the exams are very specific about what concept or
responsibility fits where in the standard. So the bottom line is: there is a
lot of memorization.

Most workshop providers include the exam as part of the process, so you can
emerge fully certified.

Is it usefull knowledge? yes. Is it essential (i.e. more important than a
technical certification)? Only if you are going to actually be a service
manager of some sort in an organization that values it. Would it prevent you
from getting a job? Probably same answer as previous.

Why do I know? Because I have been through more organizational ISO and CMM
certification death marches than I care to remember, not to mention HIPAA
and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.

I am sure this is more info than anybody needs to read  (or write) on a
Saturday, but its a good day to be inside, so cheers and good luck!