[NBLUG/talk] playing dvd's in debian stable

Mr. Jan Hearthstone hearthstone11 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 13:47:14 PST 2006

--- William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com> wrote:

> #1: Are you sure that you have an actual DVD drive?
> Some hardware will
> read CDs but not DVDs. If you can get your hands on
> some Linux distro
> that's on DVD-ROM instead of CD-ROM, see if you can
> mount and browse
> the DVD.

Don't have one right now;
What I tried was using a several dvd's--always the
same--nothing ...

> #2: What mplayer are you using? Are you using a
> Debian package, a
> binary from mplayerhq.hu, or one that you built
> yourself? Version
> number? Did you install any extra plugins?

Package: mplayer
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1:1.0-pre8-0.1sarge2

I use aptitude for most tasks (rm, install, etc.)--it
would seem that I have all deps, as I never
experienced any difficulties with aptitude.

> Finally, it's always possible that you have a disc
> that the MPAA put
> some weird encryption on. :-(

I tried a several discs.

> William