[NBLUG/talk] playing dvd's in debian stable

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Dec 11 15:30:50 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 06:51:44PM -0800, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> I googled, read manuals. but still can play no dvd's.
> Could someone walk me through the process?
> Thanks, Hearthstone.
>

> WANTED: Programmers for Peace:
>  http://www.modelearth.org/bodhiprog.html

You likely need some third-party packages to provide decoding of the DVDs
themselves. One candidate for Debian stable is at
http://debian-multimedia.org. If you add the following to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main

aptitude update, then do an apt-cache search libdvdcss and see what
packages come up. I think for stable it's either libdvdcss1 or libdvdcss2.
Install that and then with mplayer you should be able to play the first
title on a dvd with:

mplayer dvd://1

To throw another candidate in the ring, try the vlc package. It should be
able to play DVDs as well as show the title menus.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org