[NBLUG/talk] playing dvd's in debian stable

Mr. Jan Hearthstone hearthstone11 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 15:44:38 PST 2006

--- Kyle Rankin <kyle at nblug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 06:51:44PM -0800, Mr. Jan
> Hearthstone wrote:
> > I googled, read manuals. but still can play no
> dvd's.
> > Could someone walk me through the process?
> > Thanks, Hearthstone.
> >

> > WANTED: Programmers for Peace:
> >  http://www.modelearth.org/bodhiprog.html
> >

> You likely need some third-party packages to provide
> decoding of the DVDs
> themselves. One candidate for Debian stable is at
> http://debian-multimedia.org. If you add the
> following to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main
>
> aptitude update, then do an apt-cache search
> libdvdcss and see what
> packages come up. I think for stable it's either
> libdvdcss1 or libdvdcss2.
> Install that and then with mplayer you should be
> able to play the first
> title on a dvd with:
>
> mplayer dvd://1
>
> To throw another candidate in the ring, try the vlc
> package. It should be
> able to play DVDs as well as show the title menus.
>

> --
> Kyle Rankin
> NBLUG President
> The North Bay Linux Users Group
> http://nblug.org
> IRC: greenfly at irc.freenode.net #nblug
> kyle at nblug.org

Dear Kyle,
according to Andrew, I don't even have a DVD-drive
(please see bellow).
I am off to get one (making sure it indeed is a
DVD-drive)--
BTW any good sources for refurbished/recertified
DVD-drives?
Thanks, Hearthstone.

ANDREW:
> I just looked up the Plextor PX-230A. Sorry, Jan,
but what
you've got there is a CD-RW drive, not a DVD drive. It

won't
play DVDs. You'll have to get an actual DVD drive in
order
to be
able to read DVD disks. The good news is that with the

Christmas
sales going on now, you can probably find one fairly
cheap.
Install it and you should be able to play DVDs
immediately.
(Well, you might have to set a symlink first. *Then*
you
can
play DVDs.)

Good luck.