[NBLUG/talk] Home Linux Server

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Dec 13 20:40:09 PST 2006

Sean wrote:
> I've come accross a free website that will help you have a domain with
> a dynamic IP address. I've heard of it being used by several people,
> but I've never tried it myself.
>
> www.dyndns.org
>
> Good luck!

FWIW, I've been using DynDNS for several years now, and can definitely
chime in a thumbs up about them.  The service works, they're reliable,
and they're set-it-and-forget-it.  (I haven't had to manually log in
there probably in like a year.)  Oh yeah, and it's free (as in beer).
What more could you ask for?

BTW, I also recommend using the ddclient daemon (http://ddclient.sf.net)
to keep the dynamic dns service updated.  The daemon is reliable, very
easy to configure, and again just set and forget.  (And they include a
sample configuration for DynDNS, I might add.)

DR