[NBLUG/talk] the debian way

Tim C. Lewis tclewis at oreilly.com
Thu Feb 2 16:33:05 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Walter Hansen wrote:
> Likely causes of not being able to ssh in to the box as user or root?
> Putty comes up and asks for username and then password, but gets no
> further. I can ssh to localhost from the box as both. Hmm. /var/log/secure
> doesn't seem to be there so I'm not sure what log file to look in for
> clues. I probably should read up on the debian way.

/var/log/messages perhaps.
perhaps tcp wrappers are blocking all?  check /etc/hosts.*
i'm not overly familiar with debian either...

> Also can someone tel me what happended to ll? I tend to like ll as oposed
> to ls -al. I suppose I have to create or enable the script that does that.
> I think I figgured out the /etc/init.d/service start|stop|restart thing. I
> bet the service script is pretty easy to write, but that might be a no no.

ll is just an alias on other distributions.  on redhat:
[tclewis at muir ~]$ alias ll
alias ll='ls -l'

on gentoo:
tclewis at ora-tcl ~ $ alias ll
alias ll='ls --color -l'

just throw one of those in your ~/.bashrc

-tcl.