[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Jan 6 14:55:50 PST 2006

Mark Street wrote:

>I highly recommend this choice [Sonic.net].  Additionally you get a static IP address with
>Sonic.  It is worth the $.

I second the recommendations re: sonic.  Two things to know, however:

1. The Basic plan from sonic is $15/mo (for 1st 6 months), but does NOT
come with a static IP address, but rather a dynamic IP address.  If I
understand the website, the lowest cost plan that includes static
addresses  is the Express-S and that starts at $45mo (again, probably
for the 1st 6 mos.).

2.  My only complaint re sonic would be their reluctance to offer much
phone support to Linux users (too many distros, too many different
possible configs -- there's pretty much only one way to do things in
windows...), but you can get loads of help here and elsewhere on the net!

>  This is where I cut my teeth.

Mark:  Sorry about your teeth!

-dave.

--