[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Fri Jan 6 16:07:00 PST 2006

I have to agree emphatically with Troy. Avoid SBC if at all possible.
SBC uses PPPoE (so does AOL Broadband, Earthlink, and a few other major
ISPs), which can be quite troublesome at times, it's essentially
tunneling a PPP connection over your DSL line which provides the
customer (you) with absolutely no benefits and a few drawbacks. Best to
go with a company that doesn't require such unnecessary nonsense to use
their service.

I also agree with what other folks are saying about getting a
Linksys/Netgear/D-Link router as opposed to bothering to build a Linux
gateway. I generally use Linksys. It's also been my experience that SBC
equipment doesn't play nice with store-bought routers like Linksys and such.

- Chris Wagner