[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sat Jan 7 08:22:05 PST 2006

Augie Schwer wrote:

>On 1/6/06, Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote:
>

>>2.  My only complaint re sonic would be their reluctance to offer much
>>phone support to Linux users (too many distros, too many different
>>possible configs -- there's pretty much only one way to do things in
>>windows...), but you can get loads of help here and elsewhere on the net!
>>

>Dave!
>
>Some of the SysAdmins hang out in #nblug (irc.nblug.org);
>news://sonic.os.unix ; not to mention that Sonic.net graceously
>provides a home to the nblug.org server. W00t!
>
>Augie.

Augie:

Perhaps my post was more critical than I intended - so I'll clarify.
Sonic support is great, but you have to think in platform-neutral
terms.  They will walk you step by step through a windows GUI for
setting up your network connection, I believe, but if you have Linux, my
experience is that you need to know where to enter the data yourself -
which can be hard on a newbie.

I can even understand their reluctance to offer linux tech support:
"Are you using KDE or Gnome... Enlightement? oh. Hmmm.. Well you can
edit it by hand, too - are you using RedHat or SuSE?  Slackware?
Nuts... Please hold... (pleasant music)".

Part of my criticism stems from the fact that I know sonic is heavy into
Linux/Unix, so I just wish that they could be more of a force for
getting more casual home users into Linux, too.

I'm glad you pointed out that a fair number of the chatlings on #nblug
are sonic employees.  I've said it before - the chat group and the
mailing list have been a huge help to me personally and should be an
important resource for any Linux newcomer.

For better or worse (for me, personally - better!), Linux requires a
great deal of self-educating and some research skills.  That's always
been a barrier to easy adoption.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley