[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Thu Jan 12 10:30:49 PST 2006

hi Dean,

very good suggestion on the machine doing the right thing, then later
in the boot process running dhclient.

does linux support a command like boot -v to give more details as it
boots?   if it does, this will give the assignment (and subsequent
changes) in interface addresses on the terminal in bootup - at least
it does in some other operating systems.

but reviewing the rc?.d directives your machine is using with a sys5
type startup or rc files in slackware or bsd style startup systems
is always good.     so far as i know there's no "standard" set of
things to turn on and it even changes from time to time even when
the version number of the distribution hasn't changed (at least with
some linux distributions).

-ron

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign