[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Dean A. Roman droman at romansys.com
Thu Jan 12 17:11:18 PST 2006

Since it happens only at boot, and you no longer have dhclient
installed, we can make a couple of assumptions:
   1) Either the interfaces file is not getting run correctly at boot,
or it is getting run before the thing that's reconfiguring your eth0
interface on boot.
   2) Something is configuring your eth0 interface otherwise it wouldn't
have an IP at boot.

Your interfaces file looks good to me, except one thing that is bugging me.
Try this (not that I'm confident it will work, but it just gives me a
bad feeling seeing it the other way and I'm thinking that the system may
be trying to auto configure eth0 directly after it sees the "auto eth0"
line):

1) vi /etc/network/interfaces
Change to look like the following (put "auto lo" and "auto eth0" on
different lines):

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 10.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.0.0.255

Next thing to look for is something that is configuring your eth0
interface only at boot.

2) cd /etc/init.d ; grep -i eth0 *
==>  If you get a lot of output, something is probably wrong, and you can try commenting out those items and rebooting

3) You said you were on dial-up...is this system on dial-up, or is it running ppp, or some other sort of dial-up utility?
   To look for packages in Debian, you can run "dpkg -S packagename" and "dpkg -s ppp" to get specifics about the package.

FYI: There is something called dynamic dns that can help give you
somewhat of a static IP when you only can get dynamic IP's.
Here's how it works...  check out http://www.dyndns.org  (it's free!)
1) You run a client (I like ddclient) on your machine that figures out
it's own IP address and then updates a dns server on the internet.
2) You register a dns name and userid, etc. with dyndns so that the
machines client can update the correct dns name.
You always use the dns name to log in to your machine remotely..
This really only works if your not behind a firewall, or have your
firewall forwarding the ssh packets accordingly.

Thanks,
    ---Dean.

A'fish'ionado wrote:

>>What's the output of your ifconfig command?  What's the contents of your
>>/etc/network/interfaces file?
>>

># ifconfig eth0
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:8D:53:57:B3
>          inet addr:10.0.0.255  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:fe53:57b3/64 Scope:Link
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:2052 (2.0 KiB)  TX bytes:2124 (2.0 KiB)
>          Interrupt:201 Base address:0xc000
>
># ifdown eth0
># ifup eth0
># ifconfig eth0
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:8D:53:57:B3
>          inet addr:10.0.0.1  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>          inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:fe53:57b3/64 Scope:Link
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:2052 (2.0 KiB)  TX bytes:2362 (2.3 KiB)
>          Interrupt:201 Base address:0xc000
>
>/etc/network/interfaces looks like:
>
># This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
># and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
># The loopback network interface
>auto lo eth0
>iface lo inet loopback
>iface eth0 inet static
>        address 10.0.0.1
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        broadcast 10.0.0.255
>

>I'm still on dialup (yay dynamic IPs!), so SSHing from the net in
>might take a little bit to coordinate.
>
>William

Dean A. Roman