[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Fri Jan 13 11:32:02 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:16:41AM -0800, A'fish'ionado wrote:
} Can I briefly bug you guys one more time? :-)
}
} I've gotten IP masquerading to work. If I add the host computer
} (10.0.0.1) as the default gateway for the laptop, I can visit
} 208.201.242.2 with Firefox and see the NBLUG website (yes! It works!!!
} Woohoo!), but I can't enter an URL (nblug.org) and get where I want to
} go.
}
} So, two questions:
}
} 1. How can I get the DNS information forwarded so I can just type
} urls? I'm drawing a blank right now on what to type into Google. :-P
}
} 2. I could have sworn there was a way to use DHCP so that the gateway
} doesn't have to be set manually on the client. Anybody know if/how
} this can be done?

/etc/resolv.conf
has the DNS server info.  The DHCP server should pass this to the
client and modify the resolv.conf file when the network interface is
setup.

For a static IP address on Sonic.net I have this:

 search sonic.net
 nameserver 208.201.224.11
 nameserver 208.201.224.33

If you are configuring the DHCP server there is a line in
/etc/dhcpd.conf

option domain-name-servers 208.201.224.11, 208.201.224.33;

Or whatever your ISPs DNS address(s) are.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us