[NBLUG/talk] My Linux alarm clock

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Mon Jan 16 23:26:23 PST 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote:

>Yet another cool project that demonstrates why Linux rules...
>
>Since I have a computer in my bedroom, and the computer has a fairly large
>stereo connected to it, I have set it up to function as an alarm clock for
>me.  I find this setup preferable to a more traditional alarm clock because I
>can control what I wake up to (no CD's to juggle, and you never know when a
>radio station is going to commercials), I can fine-tune it to fit my schedule
>(I don't always wake up at the same time every day of the week), and I can
>set up a fall-back alarm in case the first alarm doesn't get me out of bed.

Simulated sunrise... that would be cool.
mpg123/mplayer/beep media player (http://beepmp.sourceforge.net/)
would've worked good for this too... but as troy said, using the 'at'
command and xmms is best...

There's also an xmms alarm clock plugin here
http://www.snika.uklinux.net/xmms-alarm/xmms-alarm-0.3.7.tar.bz2)

> The only thing that's stopping me
>from doing this is that I still haven't been able to justify the cost of X10
>hardware for the things I'd use it for.

I used to have an X10 camera... but sold it (this was around 5 years
ago...) maybe craigslist?
I'd be intrested in hearing about some cool X10 hacks... (someone want
to donate a camera to the cause?)

Yeah.. I often have trouble waking up... (i recently removed the snooze
button from my alarm clock (now its worse because i try and re-set my
alarm for another 5 minutes while half asleep). Currently my alarm clock
radio is on full blast hispanic station... (im thinking of setting up my
computer to play some military song though...

This is one of the many reasons I love Linux, your only real limit.. is
your own time and ability.
   -Aaron