[NBLUG/talk] My Linux alarm clock

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 08:35:34 PST 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 22:58, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:43:16PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > #!/bin/sh
> > export DISPLAY=':0.0'
> > amarok --play
> > sleep 30m && artsplay /usr/share/sounds/k3b_success1.wav
>
> A lighter weight solution is 'xmms -p' and the 'at' command:

True, but I find it easier to manage large music collections with amaroK (even
easier than iTunes!), and I used cron so I don't have to reset it every day.
I do use at when I need to get up at an unusual time (e.g. when I went to
Macworld).

> Have you played around with Amarok's DCOP stuff ?
> Really cool!  Here's a small subset from 'dcop amarok player'

I've been trying to find time to experiment with DCOP; I guess I should just
do it.

> As you can see, it's easy to bump your volume up slowly, or even change the
> track to something by Barry Manilow on those mornings where you *really*
> need some extra motivation to get up.

Maybe I could make it create a semi-random playlist where the tempo of each
song is a little faster than the last song.  So if I had a classical
playlist, it might start with the "Moonlight Sonata" and end with the "1812
Overture".  How's THAT for a way to wake up?

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

(null cookie; hope that's ok)