[NBLUG/talk] Stopping spam with postgrey (greylisting)

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Tue Jul 11 14:26:11 PDT 2006

There was an article posted on the web a couple weeks ago
about using postgrey to implement greylisting with postfix:

http://www.howtoforge.com/greylisting_postfix_postgrey

Greylisting rejects mail with a 450 error (temporary error,
try again later) with the assumption that most spammers won't.

I tried it out, it was really easy to install and configure,
and it works great.  80% spam reduction.  No real mail lost.

If you run you own mailserver and use postfix you should
check it out.  They hope to have exim support soon.

I set it for 70 second delay.  It would have to be
considerably longer to make much improvement over the
current 80% spam blocking that I'm seeing now.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us