[NBLUG/talk] Gentoo Live Installation CD failure

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 22:27:46 PDT 2006

I have been attempting to quickly install Gentoo on some older PCs to
use as test servers, but have been having problems.

I have tried the Gentoo Live Installation CD (2006.0) on three
different systems and two different hardware sets, and every time the
installation process fails either during the installation, or during
the installation wizard setup. I hope someone might have an idea of
what is going on.

The error is this when it fails during the install "There was an
exception received during the install that was ouside the normal
install errors." It goes on, and the package that failed seems to be
different every time. This happens even if I do not choose any extra
packages, or what installation method (install from downloaded
packages or off of the CD) was used. The other times it simply failes
while choosing installation options and throws me back to the command
line. Running this in command line or X seems to make no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening, or is this just a
malfunctioning version of the Live! CD?

I tried 2005.1 universal, but it seems to not provide the same method
of installation, and is just another way of manually installing
Gentoo.

Thank you ahead of time.

Sean