[NBLUG/talk] executables to run at boot

Tim C. Lewis tclewis at oreilly.com
Tue Jul 25 17:16:04 PDT 2006

/etc/init.d/whatever should be a script calling #!/sbin/runscript.
the actual binary (if compiled) program should be in some normal system
location like /usr/sbin/.  you can add the "whatever" service to default
or boot runlevels with rc-update:
rc-update show;
rc-update add whatever default;

for /etc/init.d/ file format, any of the ones in there already can serve
as an example.  if you have xinetd installed, its runscript script is
pretty simple on gentoo.  vixie-cron is another simple one.

-tcl.