[NBLUG/talk] Recommendations for journalling filesystems?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Thu Jul 27 13:09:31 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:44:24PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> >For instance, if you wanted to run a big, high-performance NNTP
> >server with
> >a terabyte or three of ~10K files with some directories containing a
> >hundred thousand files, ext3 wouldn't be the best choice.
>
> I don't quite deal with hundreds of thousands of files in a single
> directory, but I do sometimes deal with directories containing a few
> hundred files.  And I do have a few directories with some large
> files, although I don't have anything on the scale of MythTV video.

A few hundred files is not an issue.

> Notifications of potential problems:	Isn't this more or less what
> S.M.A.R.T. does?  I think I can use smartd to do periodic checks on
> all the hard drives.

smartd is a handy tool.  It's warned me of impending doom at least twice
tha I can remember. Like anything that logs/sends email, you have to
configure it to ignore the irrelevant stuff, or you risk training yourself
to ignore smartd's warnings.

> Suddenly these assumptions don't seem so far out of reach now.  And
> if Debian supports XFS, that might just make XFS a viable option...

It is supported in Debian, along with robust recovery tools.  I'm using XFS
on my data array currently.  I chose XFS primarily because I deal with
large (1GB +) files.

-troy