[NBLUG/talk] Crypt Filesystems

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Jul 28 13:52:56 PDT 2006

Jake

Did you see the 3 posts from my later experiments?

I forgot to mention that inorder to load loop.ko module I had to use
modprobe -f loop. I'm not sure how to implement that in the /etc/modules
file. This is apparantly due to the way that the debian kernel often
doesn't match the debian sources. module-assistant said that my source was
headers only and downloaded source parts that should work to compile the
modules with, but of course they don't match up exactly to the kenerl
version (amd64). The module appers to work when loaded, but I get weird
errors when I try to mount. I was very successful in formating the drive
though.

I was thinking of trying to do the process without encryption to see if
that would work. I posted a full process here for any possible problems.
Also I found that there is a built in way to automaticly provide
passphrase. You set the file handler "-p 3" (such as 3) and then use "<3
/etc/passphrase".

Debian people:
Is this sort of varriance between kernal and source normal? I can't seem
to find a way to apt-get my particualr kernel source (several others
though).

Also is there a way to apt-get modules? I'm still completely missing isofs
for some odd reason.