[NBLUG/talk] My new debin server

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 1 12:03:07 PDT 2006

William Tracy wrote:
>> In theory, Linux shouldn't swap out recently-used or commonly-used pages
>> to make room for buffer/cache.  If you are experiencing paging when
>> switching applications, then you do need more physical RAM.
>
> It's a problem when you switch to a program that hasn't been used for
> a few hours. :-P

I suppose you could try using a ramdisk as a swap partition.  I know it
sounds crazy, but I know people who swear it offers some kind of
performance gain, perhaps due to this (sometimes over-aggressive) swapping.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

It's there as a sop to former Ada programmers.  :-)
		-- Larry Wall regarding 10_000_000 in <11556 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>