[NBLUG/talk] Debian init.d and runlevel question

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Jun 15 14:01:55 PDT 2006

> The "S" scripts in /etc/rc2.d/ are run with the argument "start".
> The "K" scripts in /etc/rc2.d/ are run with the argument "stop".
> example:  S40foo would run "/etc/init.d/foo start"
> K40foo would run "/etc/init.d/foo stop".
>

> I usually just delete the symbolic link if I don't want it.
> If you are not switching between different run levels the
> "K" usually isn't needed.

Thanks, that clears it up. I'm updating my car's computer from Redhat 7.2
to Debian "testing", and normally I have it in runlevel 2 with minimal
services for quick booting, and have networking turned on in runlevel 3
for when I need to talk to it or upload files.

So far it looks like RH7.2 is still faster booting, even with all the
standard services. The usb subsection takes a lot longer to initialize
than it used to - of course it works a little better :)

Cheerful regards,

Bob