[NBLUG/talk] Mailman setup

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Jun 21 00:09:10 PDT 2006

E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 06:25:52PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> } On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:19:48AM +0000, Doug Palmer wrote:
> } > I need to set up a Mailman server at work. Any advice on which mail
> } > server to use? I can choose from sendmail, postfix, or exim. I'd prefer
> } > ease of admin over feature set if that helps.
> }
> } I think postfix best matches those requirements, although in my limited
> } experience exim seemed pretty easy to configure also.  Postfix admin seemed
>

> I also like postfix.  I've messed with exim on the nblug
> server, and while I don't know it as well it seems more complicated.
>
> "ease of admin" and sendmail are not two things found in the
> same sentence without a NOT.

I might should say that sendmail mixed with webmin isn't too bad. The
conf module is pretty easy to use, at least generally. The problem with
sendmail is there are so many files defining so many things. It's a pain
to remember what does what and what the format is. Webmin takes the edge
of that in my experience. I guess I'm kinda odd for liking webmin. It's
a little like a desktop for the servers in the next room or the room
accross the country. It's funny, I like doing some things in webmin and
some in a shell and generally a mix between the two.