[NBLUG/talk] Seemingly excessive rsync complexity

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:27:21 PST 2006

On 3/5/06, Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm  trying to set up several folders to automatically synchronize
> between my desktop computer (running Debian/Etch) and my laptop (running
> MacOS X) using rsync.  Everything seems like it will work, but I did
> notice a few odd things.
> The command I used on the laptop is:
> # rsync -rlptg /Users/lmpeters/Documents lincoln at 192.168.1.104:~/
> This seems to update and copy files from the laptop to the desktop just
> fine, but new files on the desktop do NOT get copied to the laptop.  To
> get that to work, I have to follow it up with this command:
> # rsync -rlptg lincoln at 192.168.1.104:~/Documents /Users/lmpeters/
[snip]

Despite it's name, rsync doesn't really do a sync between to spots; it
actually just does a smart copy; that's why the man page refers to
"source" and "destination". If you want to do true syncing I have
found unison to work very well:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

--
Augie Schwer    -    Augie at Schwer.us    -    http://schwer.us