[NBLUG/talk] PIC programming?

Jacob Appelbaum jake at nblug.org
Mon Mar 13 21:19:23 PST 2006

Hi,

So I've been thinking about getting a PIC programming setup going in my
lab. I've done stuff with pbasic and a basic stamp but it's going to be
too limiting for my next project. It's also costly. I want $8 chips, not
$50 or $100.

In my small amount of research I've decided that I should just ask Those
Who Know. Most of the people at NBLUG have a wide range of experience so
I'd like to ask the whole lot of you.

I've found interesting looking PIC programmers like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Serial-Dual-Mode-Microchip-PIC-Programmer-NEW_W0QQitemZ7598637170QQcategoryZ4661QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most of my systems have serial and all of them have usb. I don't think
any of them have parallel anymore. Sigh. It would be so simple if they
did.

Has you done any programming of PICs in Linux?
Have you done it with serial, usb or parallel? Something else?
Have you been able to do it with entirely free software?
What website do you refer to? Forums? Mailing lists?
Where do you buy parts or kits?

I've found a few websites like this one:
http://quozl.netrek.org/gpprg/
http://www.gnupic.org/i_burn.html

Thanks in advance!
--