[NBLUG/talk] Xbox version compatibility issues

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Thu Mar 16 11:38:28 PST 2006

Greetings,

As Jeff mentioned, I did a softmod live during Tuesday's presentation
using  ldot's UDE / UXE softmod (more information on this particular mod
can be found at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=227528
and I have notes on installing it in my presentation, now located at
http://nblug.org/presentations/linuxonxbox/linuxonxbox.html).

During the presentation, the normal dashboard did not come up as
expected (although the "open tray state" backup dashboard worked fine).
Here's why that happened: I used the initial arbitrary code exploit
(i.e. selecting "Run Linux" inside of Mech Assault) and then copied
files to the Xbox in advance so the wait time during the presentation
would be shorter.  I also performed the hard drive backup procedure to
save time (the ldots tool makes a tar.gz backup of the entire C: drive
which takes about 3 minutes to do, so I performed that action ahead of
time).  In my effort to make the softmodding demonstration as close as
possible to what you'd see if you were doing this from scratch, I
deleted the ldots savegame package from the hard drive so I could
demonstrate copying the savegame over from the memory unit.

This last move was my folly - I didn't realize that as part of the
backup process that I performed, additional files were saved in the same
savegame location as the ldots package.  By deleting that savegame I
subsequently removed those files, with the result that the softmod
installer found the backup .tar.gz file but didn't notice that other
files had been removed.  Because a version 1.6 Xbox was used in the
demonstration, we were unable to see what was on the screen, so any
warning messages wouldn't have been visible.  One thing that I was able
to (unintentionally) demonstrate during the presentation was the backup
dashboard, which  I was later able to use to restore the Xbox to an
unmodded state and perform the softmod again from scratch, with much
better results.

A verison 1.6 Xbox is fully supported by this softmod (I've used this
softmod on about 25 Xbox units, with about a third of them v1.6 units),
but I still highly suggest purchasing an older used unit instead. New
Xbox units always come with games that cost more than if you bought the
game separately (they increase the cost of the bundle by $30 for a $19
game).  The best Xbox version to get is probably the v1.4 version with
the Samsung drive.

Thanks for the question, and let me know if you're curious about
anything else,

A.C.
******