[NBLUG/talk] Xbox version compatibility issues

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Thu Mar 16 16:59:44 PST 2006

Jeff Coffler wrote:

> 3) A new unit is perhaps $25-$30 more, and that gets me return
> privileges. If I have problems, I could return it.  So, basically, if
> it won't work right in my situation for whatever reason, the $25-$30
> is "cheap insurance".

I must admit that's a very good reason not to buy from someone online
that you don't know.  :)

> I don't care about the Xbox for games.  My primary use is as a MythTV
> front end.  That's it!  Ultimately, I'd like my front end to be able
> to handle High Def, but that doesn't appear to be "ready for prime
> time" on several fronts (recording digital content on the server, lack
> of open source drivers for hardware, etc).  So my thought was to get
> the Xbox as a "cheap" transition client (i.e. use it for a few years
> and then, when hi def is more "available" with MythTV, move to a new
> client that can support it).  In the transition: If the first Xbox
> works out fine, then I'll probably buy one more.  I don't think I need
> more than two.

You're right, the HD support in MythTV is there, but it's still a bit
raw.  I think you're on to something with using it until HD matures a
bit.  On a related front I can tell you right now from a development
perspective that both the Blu-Ray and the HD-DVD formats have a very
long way to go before they reach consumer adoption penetration rates
anywhere near DVD.
> Any idea of stores (that would allow me to return the unit) that might
> still carry v1.4 units, by chance?  I don't expect to need to return
> the unit - the Xbox seemed pretty dang nice at the presentation.  But
> still, "just in case", it would be nice to be able to ...
In fact, there are several stores in the area that allow returns
(especially since you're doing a softmod that could be rolled back).  In
the Santa Rosa Plaza mall, there's an EB Games and a Gamestop that both
sell used games.  There's also a Funcoland in the Coddingtown mall.  I'd
consider buying a used unit from one of these stores as the most
preferable because it's used AND it comes with a return policy, and you
get to look at the unit before you buy it.  Try not to go at the busiest
time of day so you can get the person working the counter to show you
the Xbox units they have.

You can use the information at
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Versions_HOWTO to figure out what
version is what, but to be honest I'd just look for a drive that has two
holes in it
(http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_DVD_Drive_Identification_HOWTO has
a picture).

Let us know what you end up with once you've got a unit and you've put
MythTV on it,

A.C.
******