[NBLUG/talk] Xbox version compatibility issues

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Tue Mar 21 16:30:50 PST 2006

Jeff Coffler wrote:
> I'm having a problem copying the savegame from the USB card to the Xbox.
>
> Here's what I've done:
>
> 1) Format the USB flash drive in the XBox via "Memory" from the
> dashboard. No problems.

One of the suggestions on the
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_USB_Compatibility_List made a lot of
sense.  Try the following:

"A suggested list of steps to better guarantee useful test results: Boot
Xbox to dashboard. Connect memory stick. Observe if the Xbox recognizes
the memory stick (might indicate that "damaged" device has been
formatted). Navigate the Xbox dashboard to read contents of memory
stick. Note the number of free blocks. If you have some previous game
save info on your Xbox HD, copy one of your saved games to the memory
stick. Disconnect the memory stick. Reconnect the memory stick. Verify
that Xbox recognizes memory stick again (some problem memory sticks will
not work on reconnect or the Xbox will see it as "damaged" again, etc).
If you are able to view the save game data on the reconnected memory
stick, then the stick probably is working OK with the Xbox."

Once you know that works, start hacking at the ozxmemory.exe.  Since
it's a 1 GB unit, you may want to double-check that writing out a 256 MB
image is what you want to be doing.  I'm not sure what size the Xbox
formatted your key as...
> Can someone help?  How, exactly, do you go about getting the USB stick
> formatted, and then how, exactly, do you go about getting these files
> copied over to the Xbox in order to launch MechAssault?
I've never managed to get the USB key method to work before - in my
case, my USB key would just flash repeatedly and the Xbox never saw the
key at all.  Since it sounds like you've already hacked together a cable
to get your USB key connected to the Xbox, it may be worth your while to
go the other direction and connect the controller to the PC (and use a
real memory key instead, although if you don't already have one of these
memory units, this method may not be all that desirable).

Anyway, let us know if you're able to copy normal gamesaves to and from
your key from within the Xbox.  Feel free to E-Mail me off-thread if you
think the conversation is getting too off-topic from Linux.  Thanks,

A.C.
******