[NBLUG/talk] Extremely poor network performance

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Mon Mar 27 22:23:53 PST 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> Aaron Grattafiori wrote:
>
>> I know that on my FreeBSD server, I have some crappy no-name NIC card in
>> it.. and if im transferring a lot of files it will go really fast, then
>> kinda stall and die (it goes into store and forward says dmesg). So..
>> check your logs.. then you might try switching network cards or
>> something.
>> Process of elimiation is probably the "default route" (haha). I highly
>> doubt it has anything to do with the OS.
>

> When I restarted the network, the problems disappeared completely (at
> least for now), which pretty much eliminates cabling as a possible
> cause. Thus, my "crappy no-name NIC card" seems the most likely
> explanation.  However, this NIC is soldered into the motherboard, so I
> don't expect to be swapping it out any time soon (although I certainly
> might disable it and install a better one!).

I suggest going to HSC and in the back on the right side when you walk
in.. theres a stack of used network cards, you can pickup older 3com's
for around, 4 bucks. They're the tank of NIC's (work anywhere / in any
OS / long hours / very stable).

You should be able to disable your onboard NIC (hopefully) in the BIOS.
If not, just take out the kernel support for it.

 -Aaron