[NBLUG/talk] Perl vs other scripting methods

Agnes Ligeti agnes at drawwell.net
Mon May 8 15:45:29 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 11:51 -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:

> > Some years ago when I was working as a DBA, I used Perl to do things
> > like nightly backups.  But time has flown by and I have not used Perl in
> > over 15 years and now need to write some simple scripts.  Should I break
> > out the Perl book (I assume it would still be good enough) or should I
> > learn another scripting language?  As I recall, Perl and Php are similar
> > and I am fairly proficient with Php.
> >
> > Todd
>
> I'll probably just be one of the din, but php is a great language for web
> pages, probaly the best, but for server work I'd choose perl. Also the
> coding is very similar. I doubt you'd have much trouble even after 15
> years.

Walter,

My preference for scripting nowadays (last 4 years) is Python. If you
are interested to have some fun while solving your real problem, pick up
Python. It is very easy to learn, a very natural and fun language. You
can get everything done with it just like with Perl, but you will have a
very readable and maintainable script. I have not yet tried Ruby yet,
but people say similar good things about it.

/zsolt