[NBLUG/talk] Transferring data from Oracle to an open-source database

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue May 23 23:07:36 PDT 2006

I've heard good things about PostgreSQL, but have always used MySQL
myself. I rather like it, and it's probably on par (although their still
ironing out the topping) with Oracle as far as I can tell. Oracle won't
let MySQL publish speed comparisons. I think PostgreSQL is probably a
little better suited for not so serious databases where MySQL seems to
be up to just about anything (and probably sucks down a lot more resources).

There should be some sort of command in oracle that will output the
contents of the database into a huge SQL statement. Then you simply
import this into the other database. There might be some adjustments for
datatypes, but that's basically it. Or yes, you could just write a perl
program to convert between, or maybe have a perl program that exports
the data to a text file or something and another one to import the data.
It's easier to just do the export/import though if you can make it work.