[NBLUG/talk] Transferring data from Oracle to an open-source database

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 29 10:28:39 PDT 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote:
> In addition, since laptop computers are involved, it will not always
> be possible to synchronize the replicas immediately after one mirror
> is changed.

I just now discovered that MySQL is available and officially supported
on MacOS X, but PostgreSQL is not.  Since the laptop I had in mind was a
MacBook Pro,* and I'm not excited by the idea of building something as
complicated as an SQL database server by hand,** I think this means I'll
end up using MySQL.  Unless, of course, there is some compelling reason
to use PostgreSQL that would justify the extra work required to build it
from source...

* And, yes, there is a build of MySQL for the Intel Macs.

** Just to be clear: it's not the act of building from source that
worries me, but rather the compile errors that seem to crop up every
time I attempt something like this.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

memo, n.:
	An interoffice communication too often written more for the benefit
	of the person who sends it than the person who receives it.