[NBLUG/talk] Transferring data from Oracle to an open-source database

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon May 29 12:12:40 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 10:28:39AM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Lincoln Peters wrote:
> >In addition, since laptop computers are involved, it will not always
> >be possible to synchronize the replicas immediately after one mirror
> >is changed.
>
> I just now discovered that MySQL is available and officially supported
> on MacOS X, but PostgreSQL is not.  Since the laptop I had in mind was a
> MacBook Pro,* and I'm not excited by the idea of building something as
> complicated as an SQL database server by hand,** I think this means I'll
> end up using MySQL.  Unless, of course, there is some compelling reason
> to use PostgreSQL that would justify the extra work required to build it
> from source...

Your app will be fine with mysql.  For better or worse, it's ubiquitous so
it will be good for you to get used to it.

Use a database abstraction layer and porting your app to another RDMS will
be easier should it become necessary or desirable.  You'll still have to
port chunks of your SQL, but at least you wouldn't need to update your
function calls.

> * And, yes, there is a build of MySQL for the Intel Macs.
>
> ** Just to be clear: it's not the act of building from source that
> worries me, but rather the compile errors that seem to crop up every
> time I attempt something like this.

You /are/ using the fink sources, right ?  http://fink.sf.net/

I've successfully built the mysql-client on an Intel mac, but I haven't
tried to build the server.

-t