[NBLUG/talk] RAID-5 array resync causes severe audio glitches

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 7 17:23:02 PDT 2006

Early on Thursday morning, I found that my RAID-5 array was running
like crazy, causing severe delays for everything that required I/O on the
filesystem.  So I ran "mdadm --detail /dev/md1", and found the following
lines of particular interest:

/dev/md1:
[snip]
    Update Time : Thu Oct  5 04:51:36 2006
          State : active, resyncing
 Active Devices : 3
Working Devices : 3
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0
[snip]

 Rebuild Status : 92% complete

Normally, a brief period of sluggish I/O due to this kind of stuff wouldn't be
a major issue, but this is the computer that I use as my alarm clock (I
described my "alarm clock" shell script in an e-mail to this list back in
January).  It plays music files through Amarok, and if it can't pull the data
fast enough (as was the case here), it skips almost every second and sounds
REALLY bad.  It's not a very nice way to wake up in the morning!

Any ideas what might have led to it having to do a resync on a RAID array that
wasn't degraded?  Or how to change the behavior of a resync so that it has
less of a performance hit?

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it.
		-- Calvin Coolidge