[NBLUG/talk] Wierdness with fstab (on FC5) and noauto

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-nblug_talk at taltos.com
Fri Sep 1 12:48:13 PDT 2006

Answers to questions:

>> So a few more questions:
>>
>> 1. The behavior I want is: if the disk is in the machine, it should be
>> mounted.  If it's not, it shouldn't be mounted (and it shouldn't cause
>> the boot process to abort due to that).  Is that possible with fstab
>> today?
>>

> A couple of questions back to you...
>
> Is this a "hot swap" or "removable media" disk?  If so, the system should
> be able to handle dynamic detecting/mounting (maybe with some further
> tweaking; but the /ability/ exists, in principle).
>
> Or, is this a disk you'd attach before powering the system up?  If so, I'd
> place this function in the bootscripts -- do a DETECT before attempting a
> MOUNT.  In other words, DON'T do conditional disk-mounts via fstab, do it
> commandline, in a boot-time script, that tests each "maybe" disk (or tests
> the bus to see which-if-any exists) before attempting to mount it.
> IMHO/YMMV/etc...

The disk is hot swappable, on a 3ware 9550SX SATA controller.  The order
of operations, when I change a disk:

1. Dismount it,
2. Tell the controller I'm going to remove it,
3. Pull it out.

Then, when I put a new disk in, I:

1. Tell the controller I just inserted a new disk (and tell it to rescan
the SATA controllers), and
2. Mount the drive.

The disk is rotated with another disk.  So I have Offsite-A and
Offsite-B.  They are mounted on /mnt/offsite-a and /mnt/offsite-b
respectively.  Only one disk is in the system at a time - the other disk
is in a safe deposit box.

If the system reboots, I'd like the currently mounted disk to be
remounted.  I don't want the system to not come up because the other
disk isn't mounted.

If that's not possible to have the currently inserted disk auto-mounted,
then I'll either write a script for an end-user to mount it (without
root privileges), or I'll look at autofs or something.

Thanks for any suggestions,

    -- Jeff