[NBLUG/talk] Wierdness with fstab (on FC5) and noauto

Ross Thomas boscorama at fastmail.us
Fri Sep 1 18:18:35 PDT 2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:48:13 -0700, "Jeff Coffler"
<jeff-list-nblug_talk at taltos.com> said:

> The disk is rotated with another disk.  So I have Offsite-A and
> Offsite-B.  They are mounted on /mnt/offsite-a and /mnt/offsite-b
> respectively.  Only one disk is in the system at a time - the other disk
> is in a safe deposit box.
>
> If the system reboots, I'd like the currently mounted disk to be
> remounted.  I don't want the system to not come up because the other
> disk isn't mounted.

Since you are using the same logical device for two different mount
points, it sounds like you need a special command and some disk labels.

Label the two disks using e2label, one as Offsite-A and one as
Offsite-B.  Then add an entry for each label in fstab thusly:
   LABEL=Offsite-A  /mnt/offsite-a   .....
   LABEL=Offsite-B  /mnt/offsite-b   .....

Make sure noauto is in the options.  Now you need a command that does
something like the following:
   mount -L Offsite-A || mount -L Offsite-B

The above command will try to mount Offsite-A but if unable will
try to mount Offsite-B.

This command should be put in some convenient place and be called
at boot from something like rc.local and also manually whenever you
change the disks.

Just a thought.

Ross.

                          wherever you are