[NBLUG/talk] SSH question

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Sep 14 11:30:50 PDT 2006

> I can log in at the console using SSH to localhost, however when I try
> to log in from a remote "Windows box" using SecureShell I get an error
> "Algorythm negotiation failed" Key exchange with the remote host
> failed... I have double checked the config file and restarted sshd and
> the server. Still no joy.

I'm generally too lazy to use keys so I do interactive keyboard
authentication with a password. But many times the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
needs this line added:

PasswordAuthentication yes

That always has worked for me - if you use SSH Secure Shell as the Windows
client, make sure you choose Keyboard Interactive as the authentication
method.

You might at least give this method a try.

Cheerful regards,

Bob