[NBLUG/talk] SSH question

Chris Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Fri Sep 15 11:23:18 PDT 2006

Tim Preston wrote:
> Thanks to both of the responders... -so far-
>
> Dean- I used the default config file which worked on my test boxen
> (protocol 2,1).
> Bob- Tried changing the PassAuthen to yes (stop and start sshd) and
> used keyboard authen on client.
> Still no joy.
> I's weird that the test box/build worked fine on the first try... If
> it were Winders I'd say reinstall ;)
>
> Anyone else?
>
> Dean wrote:
> Check to see if your ssh config(sshd_config) on your linux box is only
> allowing ssh2 and your windows ssh client is trying only ssh1?
>
> Bob Blick wrote:
>>> I can log in at the console using SSH to localhost, however when I try
>>> to log in from a remote "Windows box" using SecureShell I get an error
>>> "Algorythm negotiation failed" Key exchange with the remote host
>>> failed... I have double checked the config file and restarted sshd and
>>> the server. Still no joy.
>>>

>> I'm generally too lazy to use keys so I do interactive keyboard
>> authentication with a password. But many times the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>> needs this line added:
>>
>> PasswordAuthentication yes
>>
>> That always has worked for me - if you use SSH Secure Shell as the Windows
>> client, make sure you choose Keyboard Interactive as the authentication
>> method.
>>
>> You might at least give this method a try.
>>
>> Cheerful regards,
>>
>> Bob

I'd be quite interested to know if other SSH clients on the Windows
machine will work properly, could you try another SSH client such as
Putty?  Putty seems to be the defacto SSH client for Windows these days,
anyway.  I also like Steve's idea of setting both explicitly to SSHv2
(SSHv1 is obsolete).

- Chris