[NBLUG/talk] SSH question

Tim Preston timp at sonic.net
Fri Sep 15 19:21:54 PDT 2006

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas. It is working! Why?

When I came home last night I:
Updated the Bios to the latest rev.
Changed the ssh config to reflect PasswordAuth yes, saved
Restarted ssh
<ramble>
At this point I tried to log in using my workstation. I didn't have an
IP address. I checked the little switch in the computer room. The
workstation link light was flashing, rapidly. Unplugged cables, rebooted
switch. Plugged in only the workstation, still flashing. Take it to the
main switch and connected with a known good cable, manic says the light.
Plug the workstation directly into the wall jack, yeah baby!
</ramble>
However, when I tried to log into the server, I received the same
message. Try multiple times. Deep breath, put down hammer, walk away.
Today at work I was demonstrating the error/failure to a co-worker and
it logged right in?! Checked logs while there and didn't see any real
differences (besides the constant barrage of login attempts).
Come home (install switch, see ramble) test the workstation, no go... I
had changed the algorithm settings to "none" on my client?! Changed it
all back to default and it works. SSH 3.2.5 for Win32

So, thanks again for the support and ideas.

Tim