[NBLUG/talk] SSH question

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Sat Sep 16 01:35:17 PDT 2006

> Thanks again to everyone for the ideas. It is working! Why?
>
> When I came home last night I:
> Updated the Bios to the latest rev.
> Changed the ssh config to reflect PasswordAuth yes, saved
> Restarted ssh
> <ramble>
> At this point I tried to log in using my workstation. I didn't have an
> IP address. I checked the little switch in the computer room. The
> workstation link light was flashing, rapidly. Unplugged cables, rebooted
> switch. Plugged in only the workstation, still flashing. Take it to the
> main switch and connected with a known good cable, manic says the light.
> Plug the workstation directly into the wall jack, yeah baby!
> </ramble>
> However, when I tried to log into the server, I received the same
> message. Try multiple times. Deep breath, put down hammer, walk away.
> Today at work I was demonstrating the error/failure to a co-worker and
> it logged right in?! Checked logs while there and didn't see any real
> differences (besides the constant barrage of login attempts).
> Come home (install switch, see ramble) test the workstation, no go... I
> had changed the algorithm settings to "none" on my client?! Changed it
> all back to default and it works. SSH 3.2.5 for Win32
>
> So, thanks again for the support and ideas.
>
> Tim

I forget which distrubution, but I made the mistake of installing it in
"Hardend" or "Secure" mode. It would then  turn pasword login off in ssh
every night at midnight. It took me some time to figgure out what was
going on. I didn't log on every day so I'd sometime later find that it
wasn't working and then figgure it out, repeat. Probably went a few weeks
like that.