[NBLUG/talk] Copying video DVD's to disk?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Sep 25 10:22:34 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:36:14AM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I used a Lite-On DVD recorder to record a "MythBusters" marathon this
> afternoon onto 3 DVD's.  I'd like to be able to convert them into video files
> I can save on my hard disk, but I'm not quite sure how.  Any suggestions?
>
> And just to be clear in case any MPAA lawyers are lurking on the list: there
> are PLENTY of uses for such recordings that fall within "fair use", not the
> least of which is the ability to play them on a laptop without draining my
> battery (a 2.5" internal hard disk uses far less power than a DVD drive).
>

> --
> Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>
>
> Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
> 		-- Robert A. Heinlein

Since you recorded directly from TV to a DVD, it's probably safe to say
that each DVD has a single title containing all of the episodes you
recorded as a single video. If this is true then the first thing to do
would be to put the DVD in a linux desktop and use a dvd ripping tool like
acidrip to convert that track to a single avi and then use a tool like
avidemux to strip out the commercials and split up the single video into
individual episodes.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President