[NBLUG/talk] sox ulaw to mp3

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Sep 27 19:23:40 PDT 2006

I'm getting squirels.

I'm taking a ulaw 8000hz mono file and trying to make it into an mp3.
It's going pretty good to wav.
The wav reports 64kbps bitrate, 8bit audio sample, mono, 8khz sample rate
and CCITT u-law audio format.

If I do it with lame at the command line it claims it's invalid. I'm
assuming much the same is happening under covers when I invoke sox. And
then I get a wav of chipmunks. I've tried lots of different options in
lame with no better luck. I'm thinking that perhaps having sox put it into
a format that lame will understand better might work best, but my attempts
to date have failed. Are there any audio masters out there who know what's
up? I couldn't use apt-get from debian for the mp3 stuff and ended up
installing lame and sox from source. The wav files will work, but the
slimer mp3 files will look better on a web server.

lame 376756.NAME.WAV test.mp3
Warning: corrupt or unsupported WAVE format
Assuming raw pcm input file
LAME 3.97 64bits (http://www.mp3dev.org/)
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 16538 Hz - 17071 Hz
Encoding 376756.NAME.WAV to test.mp3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz 128 kbps j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (11x) qval=3
    Frame          |  CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU |    ETA
    13/13    (100%)|    0:00/    0:00|    0:00/    0:00|   11.320x|    0:00
   kbps        MS  %     long switch short %
  128.0      100.0        69.2  15.4  15.4
Writing LAME Tag...done
ReplayGain: -10.9dB