[NBLUG/talk] [NBLUG/Talk]SuSE the best?

Mark Janes 707mjanes at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 11:17:27 PDT 2007

SuSE was the first Linux distro which I tried where Almost Everything
Worked (had to get an external modem to do dialup, but even that was a
USB modem). I've tried the various flavors of Ubuntu and I find it
installs at least as easily as SuSE, but it seems a bit more cumbersome
to install software on my system, but maybe this is my own bias. In
addition I tried out a number of other distros around New Years
including Slackware, Debian, Scientific, Fedora and Ubuntu but wound up
back with SuSE for now. One non-technical issue which makes me
uncomfortable about SuSE is the fact that their parent company, Novell,
has been getting *too* friendly with Lord Gates' M$. I switched over to
Linux partly for ideological reasons- M$ was a major corporate supporter
of George W. Bush's 2000 campaign because M$ believed that a Bush
administration would be less likely to pursue antitrust action, as I
understand it. If I were you I'd give SuSE a try along with Ubuntu,
Fedora and Debian. You might even try out a Live (mini) CD of Damn Small
Linux and see if that works for you; it's pretty easy to use and is very
resource-frugal. Basically, the best distro, IMHO, is the one which
works best for you.

Good luck with whichever distro you decide to go with.

Mark Janes