[NBLUG/talk] UPS for brownouts

Bob Blick bbblick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 13 09:24:30 PDT 2007

William Tracy wrote:
> I'm having some second thoughts now about buying a line-interactive
> UPS--this is a second-hand computer, after all, and we were trying
> *not* to spend a lot on it.

I've bought a lot of UPSes, mostly consumer-grade. My experience is that
$100 gets you a great UPS in todays marketplace(especially if you shop
the sales). I got a couple of 900VA line-interactive ones by APS a few
months back that are great, and they were $89 each.

The ones you get for $39 are pretty bad, but once you get just beyond
entry-level it's a better world.

By the way, I won't every buy an APS brand product with a rebate
attached - bad experience once bit, twice shy. But when they're on sale
outright, I'll bite.

Cheerful regards,
Bob