[NBLUG/talk] bootable cd from iso image

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 09:20:49 PST 2007

Google 'El Torito'.  The actual spec doc is a slog through mind numbing details, so here is one walkthrough that I have used to  create a bootable CD from a disk drive image.  It is very manual but it does work and is easy to follow.  It is from Microsoft but surprisingly is not MS-centric apart from volume designations and editors named:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167685

Some disk burning applications do all of this automatically, or allow you to create a 'bootable CD'; they place the boot floppy image on one 'partition' and the data image in another 'partition'...

Glen Gunsalus <g-gunsalus at mindspring.com> wrote: I have an iso image for which I don't have access to the file system from
which it was built.  I would like to make it bootable.

I have used it on machines with both floppy and cd drives - just use a
bootable floppy and then reference the cd for system load.  I have a system
w/o floppy so now need to see if I can't make a bootable cd image with the
current .iso.

My hope was that I could combine a floppy boot.img with the current iso
somehow, but can't find a way that'll do the job.

I've been through HOWTOs, looked hard at mkisofs and cdrecord and "googled"
but to no avail.

Am I beating a dead horse, or is there a way to do this?

TIA for any pointers, ideas.

Regards,  Glen