[NBLUG/talk] CD collections

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 06:12:08 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 12:18 AM, Christopher Wagner <waggie at waggie.net> wrote:

> Ok, thanks for the info..  Let's see if we can't get this sorted out,
> then..
>
> My configuration settings that seem to be related to what you're trying
> to achieve:
>
> The temporary storage where it holds the uncompressed wav file:
> Under Config -> Rip -> Ripper -> Rip file format:
> ~/mp3/%A/%d/%n.wav
>
> Encoder to use (see below):
> Under Config -> Encode -> Encoder -> Encoder: lame
>
> Storage location for the encoded files.
> Under Config -> Encode -> Encoder -> Encode file format:
> ~/mp3/%A/%d/%n.%x
>
> Storage location for the playlist (m3u) files.
> Under Config -> Encode -> Options -> M3U file format:
> ~/mp3/%A-%d.m3u
>

> Encoder to use -- I'm using lame here (which create MP3s), OGG is a far
> superior format, but it not widely supported by commercial widgets.  I'd
> be using OGG exclusively if my car stereo supported them, but since it
> doesn't, I'm stuck with MP3s.
>
> I'm hoping this info will get you started in the right direction.  The
> paths I have above point to the 'mp3' folder in my home directory, but
> if you're storing your files in /music, then change it appropriately
> (~/mp3/ would become /music/).
>
> Let me know what you come up with.
>
> - Chris

OK, late last night I tripped over just about the same thing.  I was
shooting blind and I _knew_ the extension didn't matter, because Linux
checks the actual file, but I changed my rip extension to .wav and it almost
worked.  Same thing you used, go figure why it's needed.  Anyway, that let
mplayer  play the encoded mp3s, but not JuK.  I just started out trying
things and lo and behold, OGG worked with JuK.  Now you go and tell me it's
better anyway.  Thanks for your efforts, I'm happy now and busy pumping
Christmas music onto my computer.
--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.